pthread - fork - execv problem

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Jun 22 14:08:40 PDT 2004

In the last episode (Jun 22), Daniel Eischen said:
> > libpthread in -current does support pthread_atfork, and I have a
> > patch (below) that adds the same functionality to libc_r and libthr
> > that I need to send-pr.  Pointy hat to the original committer for
> > breaking ABI compatibility.  http://dan.allantgroup.com/FreeBSD/
>
> Whaa?  Adding a function doesn't break ABI, and I don't want to
> maintain 3 thread libraries.

It does if an application detects pthread_fork during configure and
uses it.  You then can't use libmap to redirect libpthread to one of
the other thread libraries for testing, since you'll get an undefined
symbol error at runtime.

Nikos Ntarmos also noticed that there's no pthread_atfork manpage.  We
could probably just use the Single Unix one.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com