quiet ATX mid-Towers

Markie mark.cullen at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Jun 19 11:44:33 GMT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Strick" <strick at covad.net>
To: <hackers at freebsd.org>
Cc: <zera_holladay at yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2004 12:14 AM
Subject: Re: quiet ATX mid-Towers

| On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 07:39:25 -0700 (PDT), zera holladay wrote:
| >>
| > Hello, I am looking for a very quiet ATX mid-tower and
| > I was wondering if anybody has a suggestion or
| > recommendation.  My hard disks produce the most
| > decibels at the most annoying frequency -- it_s not a

If it's a high pitched whiny type sound that resembles a rather noisy fan..
I have been there. I had a Maxtor hard disk that did this, I sent it back
(RMA'd it) and they sent me a replacement which is silent. I have also has
this issue with a laptop disk aswell, an IBM Travelstar. My friend also had
this issue with a Western Digital drive... he got that replaced and it's
silent like his other, smaller, WD drive :o)

You may be lucky and the manufacturer will replace it or you may have to
buy a brand new disk (if it is the hard disk making the noise).