indent bugfix / added features

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Fri Jun 11 15:39:54 GMT 2004

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 05:20:19PM +0200, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:
> Sigh. A request for a little bit of QA and an emoticon as well and
> I'm criticised. I remember when I was not yet a committer that the
> better I could demonstrate that the code has no ill-effect the more
> chances some committer would bring it in the tree.

yeah but that's not a reason to give the same 'treatment' to
other people.

In the end, if you don't feel like taking the risk, you don't commit
the patch and nobody will blame you.

> I've looked at too many "innocous" patches that performed unexpectedly
> when run, to not let myself get away with this. Of course this may be

i am not trying to discuss general principles, but only this
specific case. This is a very small patch and you can easily
check it while you type/paste it in (if nothing else just for
curiosity on what was the problem and how was it fixed).

In the end, if you don't feel like taking the risk, you don't commit
the patch; nobody will blame you.

> No hard feelings, Luigi :-)

nor on my side! I was just trying to make a point that we should not
try to scare or annoy people who are so kind to contribute patches
just because we don't have time to scrutinize them (which in the
end is our responsibility, not theirs).

I wouldn't have said a word if you had some actual comments/criticism
on the contributed code. Even if they were only style issues (which
we shouldn't even bother to criticise in these cases, as they can
be trivially fixed at commit time). But asking for "more input or
i won't even look at your code" (at least, that was the sense one
could perceive) was a bit too much...

cheers
luigi