indent bugfix / added features

Jens Schweikhardt schweikh at schweikhardt.net
Fri Jun 11 14:07:34 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:53:07PM -0500, Chip Norkus wrote:
#
# Hi all,
#
#   I've been working on a major project, and decided to use indent to
# normalize the code a bit.  In doing so I discovered a few deficencies in
# the stock FreeBSD (5.2-CURRENT) indent and decided to fix them, I
# thought these might be fairly common wishes (and one of them is a
# bugfix) and have attached a patch which does the following:
# * Adds an option to control tab use in output code (-ut and -nut)
#   (This is in the GNU indent)
# * Adds an option to control brace placement after function declaration
#   (-fbs and -nfbs).  What this does, specifically, is allow you to have
#   indent produce 'func(args..) {' instead of 'func(args..)\n{'.  The old
#   behavior is the default.
# * Fixes the indent bug when aligning variable names with an indentation
#   level that is not a multiple of 8.  This works for both the 'tab use'
#   and 'no tab use' varieties of code output.
#
#   I don't know if anyone would be interested in committing the bugfix (I
# believe it is correct) or added features, but I hope someone else finds
# this useful.
#
# -chip

I'm willing to commit this if you could demonstrate that it will not
produce different output in the default case than it does now. Say,
run the old an new versions against the FreeBSD src tree and make a diff
which should vanish apart from the bug-fixing effects. If you want to
make yourself known as a quality software engineer, do the same for
various sets of indent options :-)

Regards,

	Jens
--