keyboard for a blade

Danny Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Fri Jun 11 09:56:34 GMT 2004

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 12:04:45PM +0300, Danny Braniss wrote:
>
> > 	Somehow the keyboard (USB/PS2) is rerouted, but gets lost to freebsd,
> > btw, im running current, since on stable the bge doesn't work.
>
> If there's no PS/2 keyboard attached at boot time, FBSD will unload the
> atkbd driver to a give a change to the driver for a USB keyboard and (rather
> infuriatingly for me) won't allow re-connection of a PS/2 keyboard until you
> either kbdcontrol it (how, if you haven't got a working keyboard?) or power
> cycle the box. Similar problems occur if you also don't have a USB keyboard
> attached.
>
> Your blade centre is probably only "connecting" a keyboard when you need it,
> so you should treat it like a headless server. In your kernel config change
> this line:
>
> device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
>
> For this one:
>
> device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1
>
> This means that the PS/2 atkbd driver will be loaded even if a keyboard is
> not actually connected at boot time.
>
> If that doesn't fix it in your blade centre, then it's because it's
> providing a "USB keyboard" to the blade not a PS/2 keyboard, and I don't
> know how to fix that one because I've never had the problem.
>
> Hope that helps somehow.

Certainly!
im compiling a kernel now, will test asap.
On another box where i have similar problems, i added some lines to etc/rc.d/syscons:
syscons_start()
{
        echo -n 'Configuring syscons:'

        #
        # keybord USB/PS2
        #
        case ${keyboard} in
        [Nn][Oo] | '')
                ;;
        *)
                echo -n ' keybord';     kbdcontrol -k ${keyboard}  < ${kbddev}
                ;;
        esac

and now i have in my rc.conf:
keyboard=kbd1

I don't know if this is the correct way to do this - the keyboard magic is
beyond me :-)

danny