bugs with disk space

Jason Andresen jandrese at mitre.org
Wed Jun 9 17:43:06 GMT 2004

Jose Hidalgo Herrera wrote:
> There is something wrong here:
>
> srv0:~# uname -r
> 4.9-RELEASE-p4
>
> srv0:~# df -hi /
> Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a   126M   125M  -8.9M   108%    1364 14890    8%   /
>
> srv0:~# du -shx /
>  36M    /
>
> The operating system complains about free space, but I'm only using 36M,
> while the df says that I'm using 125M, the inodes are not the problem.

You probably have programs accessing files on / that have been unlinked.
  Once the process terminates (or closes the file descriptor) you will
get your space back.  If you deleted a large temp file or log file to
free up space, try restarting the process that created the temp/log file.

   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese at mitre.org
  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer
_|  _|___|  _| _|_\___| Office: 703-883-7755