[HEADS-UP] mbuma is in the tree

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Fri Jun 4 12:03:40 PDT 2004

On Friday 04 June 2004 04:27 am, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> botched it B> > S> (didn't handle module references properly) so backed it.
> But there's no B> > S> reason someone cannot redo it or convert other
> heavily used fixed size tags B> > S> to use a zone.
> B> >
> B> > Have you saved your efforts? May I look at them?
> B>
> B> They are in the CVS history of sys/net/if_vlan.c.
>
> I see now, thanks.
>
> Question to Sam: have you performed any tests? Is this definitely
> true, that UMAllocing in special zone is faster than general malloc()?

Allocating from a zone was noticeable for gige interfaces, especially on my
SMP configuration (which was running w/o Giant).  For non-gige interfaces the
overhead of using malloc is not noticeable (as I reported when I first
converted vlan handling over to use tags).  Regardless the point was that you
can already use a zone for tags if you want.

	Sam