FreeBSD 5.2.1: Mutex/Spinlock starvation?

Ali Niknam ali at transip.nl
Thu Jun 3 21:43:22 GMT 2004

Hi Guys,

First of all: this is my first posting in this group so please be gentil :)

The other day I was upgrading a system from FreeBSD 4.5 single CPU to
FreeBSD 5.2.1 dual CPU and I came across a terrible problem.

The system is used as a rather busy webserver, with continuesly about 1200
apache processes, and about 200 mysql pthreads.

The problem i ran into is that when apache starts it needs to create a lot
of childs quickly. When it does so at a given time, after about a minute or
so, a couple of childs go into "Giant" status mode. After a few seconds more
and more processes go into Giant mode up until the point that the system
will become totally unresponsive (even for keyboard innput). The only remedy
is to disconnect the utp and wait a few seconds; then kill everything.

Now the nice part is: this happens only if i set apache's maxclients > 1250.
Under 1250 the same scenario happens but after a minute or so the system
recovers!

Now i unfortunately do not know enough about the internals of BSD to do a
very estimated guess, but i'll give a shot nevertheless: my estimate is that
due to the tremendous amount of 'locked' processes the system simply starves
of CPU to do anything. My guess is the Locking mechanism probably uses
some kind of 'spin' to wait until the resource is unlocked (whichever
resource it is, probably something network related, though).

This is based upon the fact that this does not happen if you slightly
decrease the number of apache's; what happens in that case is that the same
scenario goes on; however after a minute or so the system recovers!
(probably because it has just enough CPU to handle everything as apache
hits its limit?)

Now if this is indeed the case i was thinking of something like a sysctl
MUTEX_BLOCK_THRESHOLD set to something like 50. If the system detects that
the number of processes locked is higher than this number, then it stops
'spinning' for resources, but instead uses a 'blocking' mechanism (simply
puts the processes in a 'waiting' queue).

I would be very interested to hear what this problem could be; perhaps i can
test a little if someone has solutions (i cant test much unfortunately,
it's a production system).

Best Regards,
Ali Niknam