ipfw cached ucred patch

Christian S.J. Peron csjp at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 2 06:51:55 PDT 2004

On  2 Jun 2004 Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Christian S.J. Peron wrote:
> >All,
> >
> >Currently, when you have any rules which contain UID/GID
> >constraints, ipfw will lock the pcb hash and do a lookup
> >to find the pcb associated with that packet --
> >One for each constraint.
> >
> >I have written a patch in attempt to minimize the impact
> >of PCB related lookups for these type of firewall rules.
> >
> >This patch will have the following effects on firewalls which
> >contain UID/GID constraints:
> >
> > o Greatly reduce the locking contention associated
> >   with PCB lookups.
> >
> > o Increase the performance of firewall in general by making
> >   PCB lookups O(1) rather than O(n) (where n represents
> >   number of UID/GID constraints in the ruleset)
> >
> >It would be greatly appriciated if people who are running ipfw
> >rules sets containing UID/GID constraints tested this patch
> >and reported any success or failures.
> >
> >The patch can be downloaded from:
> >
> >http://people.freebsd.org/~csjp/ip_fw2_cached_ucred.patch
>
> You can optimize it even further by directly copying the uid/gid
> from the ucred while you hold the INP_LOCK.  There is no need to
> hold on to the entire ucred.  It should be sufficient to do the
> ucred lookup only once per packet in the ipfw code.  If you don't
> find an INPCB for the packet you'll do a negative lookup for every
> uid/gid rule.

I thought about this to, however in order to implement GID contraints
properly, we need to use groupmember(9) which requires the
entire cr_groups[16] located in the ucred. I thought it was more
elegant and cheaper to avoid the memcpy(sizeof(gid_t) * NGROUPS)
and stick with the mutex.

Anyone else have other ideas?

--
Christian S.J. Peron