Good Information about ipfw

Martes G Wigglesworth martes.wigglesworth at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 1 12:59:34 PDT 2004

Is there a good, definitive, source of information for implementing ipfw
firewall rules.  I had to research for almost a week just to find out
how to do bandwidth limiting with freebsd.  (3days just to find out if
freebsd does this, and then another two just to find out what dummynet
is, and then I found out that it was in the man page.)  Where is the
list of all these obscure programs, and features, that are not a
unreadable as most man pages.

I would also like to know what the point of most manpages are.  90
percent of them just list abitrary commands, as though you are supposed
to know how to use the program in the first place.  There are almost
never any useful informatin about implementing the program that the
manpage is supposed to explain, but does not.

I have not been able to locate any book on the one firewall, that seems
to be at the heart of any good Freebsd firewall setup.

Please help this wayward soul.

Thanks fellow bsders.