How to clean out old files after 'make world'?

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Fri Jul 30 02:19:40 PDT 2004

On Friday 30 July 2004 08:56, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:23:25PM +0300, Stas D.Myasnikov wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > While doing 'make world' I used make.conf with couple on 'NO_*=yes',
> > e.g. NO_KERBEROS=yes (I don't need Kerberos on my home computer).  But
> > after rebuilding world and install I saw the old binaries, configs,
> > etc. of Kerberos and other parts of base that I didn't build.  I had
> > thought that install script removes all unneeded files, but it don't.
> > How can I clean out this old binaries, configs, etc?..  Is there any
> > automatic way to do this?
>
> I routinely use find(1) and some secret knowledge about files that
> do not change their timestamps between installworlds to clean up
> stale files.  Fortunately there are not too much files that install
> with -C, less in 5.x than in 4.x.
>
> Also, Warner Losh worked on a project that would allow to remove
> files obsoleted between releases.  I don't know what the current
> status of this project is, or if it's still alive.  ;)

I am wondering, would it be possible to (automatically) create pkg-plist info
for the NO_* targets in make.conf? We could put that into the ports-tree
somewhere and if you'd like to remove something completely you can install
the dummy port & pkg-plist and use pkg_delete to clean up.

It seems to me that it might be possible to add some kind of Makefile hint
variables (i.e. define a variable in Makefiles/targets that depend on NO_*)
that'd help to generate filelists for the NO_* targets. If this is the case
it should be possible to place pkg descriptions into /var/db/pkg during the
installworld pass. This would also make it easy to get rid of things after a
CDROM install.

What do you think?

/"\  Best regards,			| mlaier at freebsd.org
\ /  Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier at EFnet
/ \  ASCII Ribbon Campaign		| Against HTML Mail and News