new files in kernel build

Divacky Roman xdivac02 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz
Wed Jul 28 06:15:11 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 10:30:05AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

> M. Warner Losh wrote:
>
> >In message: <20040727160206.GA1784 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz>
> >           Divacky Roman <xdivac02 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz> writes:
> >: Hi,
> >:
> >: If I want to add some files into kernel sources, what am I supposed to
> >do to
> >: them compile? I added some into sys/net80211/ but they dont compile...
> >:
> >: I tried sys/conf/files but it does help, just prints a message about
> >having it
> >: defined before...
> >
> >Exact error messages would be helpful.
> >
> >Generally, you put them in sys/conf/files, re-run config and life is
> >good.
> >

> if you want to add these files without editing /sys/conf/files you can
> add them to /sys/conf//files.{YOURCONFIG}
> e.g. we backported the firewire to an older kernel and have a
> proprietary driver as well..
>
> our files.VICOR looks like:
>
> %cat files.VICOR
> xdcpdrvr.o                      optional        xdcp                    \
>        dependency      "$S/dev/xdcp/xdcpdrvr.o.uu"                     \
>        compile-with    "uudecode < $S/dev/xdcp/xdcpdrvr.o.uu"          \
>        no-implicit-rule
> dev/firewire/firewire.c optional firewire
> dev/firewire/fwcrom.c   optional firewire
> dev/firewire/fwdev.c    optional firewire
> dev/firewire/fwmem.c    optional firewire
> dev/firewire/fwohci.c   optional firewire
> dev/firewire/fwohci_pci.c       optional firewire pci
> dev/firewire/if_fwe.c   optional fwe
> dev/firewire/sbp.c      optional sbp
>
> without looking at the source to config, it seems to use teh entry on
> the 'ident' line to
> look for these files..

I created this <hysteria.sk/~neologism/wifi.patch> which could solve problem of
wifi driver not being able to switch among speeds.

I added two files into
sys/net80211/

and change sys/conf/files to
  net80211/ieee80211_proto.c      optional wlan
+ net80211/ieee80211_rssadapt.h   optional wlan
+ net80211/ieee80211_rssadapt.c   optional wlan
  netatalk/aarp.c         optional netatalk

(semi-diff, ie. I added that two files)

and it gives me this message:
"Makefile", line 3104: warning: duplicate script for target
"ieee80211_rssadapt.
ln" ignored
"Makefile", line 3107: warning: duplicate script for target
"ieee80211_rssadapt.
o" ignored

(but it proceeds further) and finally it fails with:
link_elf: symbol ieee80211_rssadapt_raise_rate undefined

simply said - the ieee80211_rssadapt.c didnt get compiled at all (so linker
cannot find the symbol)

By applying the patch and defining wi device you can get the same behaviour

thnx for help

roman