"Next Generation" kernel configuration?

soralx at cydem.org soralx at cydem.org
Thu Jul 22 17:47:38 PDT 2004

> The debate here is automation vs. simplification. Why we shouldn't
> simplificate the kernel compile ? Because our user base's average IQ will
> be lower ? We're not suggesting to have KDE installed by default here.
> Users would still to have to type the commands to compile the kernel by
> hand and do a little research about the options they enabled. XFree86 has
> ncurses/graphic configuration utilities. Why the kernel shouldn't ?

Because configuring kernel by editing config files is, IMHO, the fastest
and most convenient method. New FreeBSD users should get used to it
from the beginning - this will save their time in future. There's nothing
hard in editing the files, especially after few kernels for different machines
have been created (they can be used as templates).

Timestamp: 0x41005EBC
[SorAlx]  http://cydem.org.ua/
ridin' VN1500-B2