"Next Generation" kernel configuration?

NicolasBérard Nault nicobn at quebecbsd.org
Thu Jul 22 08:21:26 PDT 2004

> You confuse automation, with simplification.
> Automation tools are good for frequently re-run tasks.
> How often do you recompile your kernel?
>
> .... exactly.

In my opinion, the least we could do is have it as a port/package. For the
make check dependencies, that could be a great idea to commit because
right now, unless your kernel doesn't compile our your computer doesn't
start, there's no way to know you forgot something.

The debate here is automation vs. simplification. Why we shouldn't
simplificate the kernel compile ? Because our user base's average IQ will
be lower ? We're not suggesting to have KDE installed by default here.
Users would still to have to type the commands to compile the kernel by
hand and do a little research about the options they enabled. XFree86 has
ncurses/graphic configuration utilities. Why the kernel shouldn't ?

--
Nicolas Bérard Nault (nicobn at quebecbsd.org)
http://staff.xeatech.net/nicobn