Self-tuning parameters

Igor Shmukler shmukler at mail.ru
Thu Jul 15 10:16:12 PDT 2004

Avishay,
First thing to look at - statistics gathering code in vm_pageout.c.
It collects basic usage information upon which various decisions are made.
Then pageout thread basically does GCing based on memory pressure.
Used to be that depedning on pass number [vm_pageout(int pass)] system would either force or not force GC.
Logic is that is system recovered enough pages in one pass, pressure in not too high.
IS.
PS I am not 100% function names are accurate, but as far as I remember that's the basic idea.