Communication driver framework ?

Sifalakis, Manolis mjs at v6testbed.net
Thu Jul 15 09:16:01 PDT 2004

Hello all,

I am new to the list as well as "under the FreeBSD-hood" and this is my
first posting so pls forgive me if this has been asked 1000 times before
(I did not manage to find it in the archive).

We re planning to implement a programmable router framework for FreeBSD,
and basically we need to have a piece of code between the NIC driver(s)
and the protocol stack to pull out and push (back) in the forwarding
path network packets (and possibly do some low level routing among the
NIC interfaces there).

As a result I would like to ask if there is a communications driver
framework similar to NDIS -bleah- (in M$ Win) or STREAMS (in the -early-
ATT unix flavors), in FreeBSD. It would be significantly more efficient
and portable if we did not have to hard code in the kernel our
"intermediate" driver.

Thanks in advance for reading ... even more for replying ;)

-- Manolis.