Article on Sun's DTrace

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Jul 7 21:44:47 PDT 2004

In the last episode (Jul 07), David Schultz said:
> The page referenced earlier in this thread pointed out that 6
> staff-years went into DTrace.  That's accurate, and we're not talking
> about part-time employees or people who don't know what they're
> doing.  The D compiler aside, this is not a small matter of
> programming that can just be ported to a new OS or machine
> architecture in a few months.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek has already written a C-like language for his
Cerber project that looks like it could be used for a FreeBSD DTrace.
It doesn't support associative arrays for stat collecting like D does,
but it's got just about everything else.  If you just wanted to track
syscalls, you could almost use Cerber as-is.

http://cerber.sourceforge.net/

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com