FreeBSD and MacOS

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Sat Jul 3 03:34:01 PDT 2004

On 3 Jul 2004, at 10:05, Eitarou Kamo wrote:

> Hi John and all,
>
> John Von Essen wrote:
>

>> Since OPENSTEP kernel had an x86 port, its not to far off to conclude
>> that darwin could be run on x86 - but I think all the x86 talk was
>> just hypothetical - would only happen in real life if some hardcore
>> coders had alot of spare time on their hands...
>
> Apple will not invest it, I wonder.....

No, Apple _does_ invest the money and time to create an x86 port:
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/
That is only the kernel and command-line utilities, there's no GUI
included.   http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_xnu.html provides
a good overview of the kernel.   Apple did have a port of MacOS X to
x86
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/09/02/apples_x86_os_named_sized/), I
would guess they were waiting to see which CPU they were going to use
after the G3, since Motorola were being a little slow in making faster
PowerPC CPUs.   They were considering switching to an Intel-based line;
  in the end they went with IBM and their PPC970, so I would think it's
fairly unlikely we'll now ever see a version (of the GUI) for x86.

--
Bruce Cran