FreeBSD and MacOS

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Fri Jul 2 18:54:04 PDT 2004

I think when I originally started this thread it had to do with
confusion concerning what constitutes current OS X. I know rhapsody
started with heavy OPENSTEP 4.2 influence, but it seems that some major
changes have occurred since rhapsody/10.0 and current 10.3. The
OPENSTEP stuff gave them a good start, but once they got started things
evolved and FreeBSD is now more of an influence - which is good!

As for darwin. I remember when darwin was made available for free
download, I put it on my g3 imac. It had no gui, just shell interface,
and lacked alot of tools. If I remember correctly, you had to manually
ifconfig your network devices.

Since OPENSTEP kernel had an x86 port, its not to far off to conclude
that darwin could be run on x86 - but I think all the x86 talk was just
hypothetical - would only happen in real life if some hardcore coders
had alot of spare time on their hands...

-john