FreeBSD and MacOS

Justin Walker justin at mac.com
Thu Jul 1 12:25:03 PDT 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 7:27, Eitarou Kamo wrote:

> Hi Q,
>
> Q wrote:
>
>>> My curiosity is that the FreeBSD and NetBSD license are left.
>>> And should those licenses are kept after porting?
>>
>> Yes the original license and copyright notices are all kept intact,
>> it's one of the requirements of virtually every opensource license.
>> To remove them would be a violation of the original copyright holders
>> requirements.
>>
> This is important. For the people to port from now this must
> be a point, not to port beyond the law.
>
> The words "Redistributions" in the FreeBSD License includes
> "porting"?
>
> But I heard, the algorithm of the source code wasn't preserved
> by the copyright. In the case of the porting from FreeBSD to other
> different flavor OS (e.g. Linux), the algorithm is used. But the
> variables or
> way of writing is not used.

This is a fine point of copyright law, and few engineers/programmers
are in a position to know the answer.  Your best bet is to read the
license in full, and refer to a lawyer familiar with this area of law.
Check the websites for the EFF <http://www.eff.org> and OSI
<http://opensource.org> for details.

>  In this case what should I do? Ethically I should
> notice FreeBSD license. But.... It's a bit contradiction, I think.

I'm not sure what you mean by "this case".  If you are porting Darwin
code to some other system, then you have to follow the license
requirements for the components you use.  As has been pointed out
earlier in this thread, some of the Darwin OS code is from FreeBSD and
other sources with similar licenses; and some is developed largely by
Apple (so the APSL applies).  If you are porting to Darwin, then the
license on the code you start with applies.

In either case, you do need to understand the license issues.  The best
we can do is to answer specific questions, but you still may be better
off discussing this via one of the above sites.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        | Some people have a mental