USB driver selection algorithm?

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Thu Jul 1 06:50:42 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 07:04:44PM +0400, Alex K wrote:

> Hello, everyone!
>
> As far as I understand drivers for USB devices are selected and attached
> based on USB VendorID and ProductID match. Here I have situation where
> I have 2 diffrent USB devices (cables) which got same Vendor and Device
> IDs, only revision differes.

USB drivers are selected based on the drivers need.
That is usually deviceclass, interfaceclass or vendor/product.

First all drivers are asked if they want the whole device.
If none takes it than all drivers are asked for each interface of the
device - an interface is a functional part of an USB device.
If that also fails the driver is given to ugen as a whole.

> It is mobile phone cables based on PL2303 and PL2303X chipsets.

uplcom takes devices (or maybe interfaces) based on vendor/product ID.

> What approach will you recommend?

What is your problem?

bernd at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de