What kind of a crash is this ? (kernel ? userland ?)

Joe Schmoe non_secure at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 18:02:59 PST 2004

Hello,

I have become familiar with certain FreeBSD crashes - namely, I can tell the difference between the kernel crashing, and the userland crashing.

If the machine is down, but I can still ping it, then the userland has crashed - the kernel is still running, which is why it responds to pings.

But if it crashes and just reboots itself, then the kernel has crashed.  Oversimplified I know, but I am leading up to:

What kind of a crash is it if:

I can ssh to the system, it gives me the BSD copyright and the uname message, but never ever gives me a prompt.  What is going on in this scenario ?  What kind of things have you seen that cause a crash like this ?

thanks.