cons25 and xterm

Jamie Bowden ragnar at sysabend.org
Fri Jan 30 04:10:58 PST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, zera holladay wrote:

> Hello, when I ssh to my school Unix account
> (unfortunately solaris) from my local host's command
> line and when I attempt to clear the screen, I get an
> error message from the remote host: `cons25`: unknown
> terminal type.  The remote host is $TERM=xterm.  My
> local machine is FreeBSD's default $TERM=cons25.

Once you've logged into the Solaris box:

setenv TERM sun

or whatever equivalent is appropriate for your shell.  This works for me
logging into Sun and SGI boxes from a FreeBSD console.  You can also set
it to vt100, but type sun appears to be slightly more SCO compatibile to
me.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"