cons25 and xterm

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Jan 29 15:25:08 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 03:16:37PM -0800, zera holladay wrote:
> Hello, when I ssh to my school Unix account
> (unfortunately solaris) from my local host's command
> line and when I attempt to clear the screen, I get an
> error message from the remote host: `cons25`: unknown
> terminal type.  The remote host is $TERM=xterm.  My
> local machine is FreeBSD's default $TERM=cons25.
>
> My question is: how can I switch my local terminal
> type so that it works correctly with the remote
> machine?  I don't want to install X, but if that is
> the only option then I'll reconsider.

The way I handle that problem is to run screen(1) (from the
sysutils/screen port) locally, and set TERM=vt102 on the remote
machine.  Works perfectly.

The "correct" solution is of course to upgrade the terminal
descriptions on the remote machine to include 'cons25', but that might
not be practical in this case.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson