Yes, send-pr results in virus emails

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Jan 28 07:25:10 PST 2004

In a message written on Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 01:47:57PM -0600, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> I'm afraid there's not much that FreeBSD can do about this.  All PRs are
> forwarded to the public freebsd-bugs mailing list and on any public
> mailing list there are inevitably n > 1 Microsoft clients subscribed.

There's no reason the sender address needs to go to the mailing
list or be visable on the web, is there?

That is, the sender address could be stored in the PR database,
visable only to those who can change the status of a PR (I assume
they have some password protected web/e-mail interface).  When
forwarded to a mailing list it could come from pr-remailer at freebsd.org
or something.

While spam is a fact of life, in some cases we need to reevaluate
plastering an e-mail address everywhere just because we can.