Mathematica 5 installation

jre9 at humboldt.edu jre9 at humboldt.edu
Tue Jan 27 22:38:06 PST 2004

The handbook includes information for installing Mathematica 4, but I have
Mathematica 5 and found the handbook's guidelines to be entirely
irrelevant to version 5.  So here's how I finally figured out how to
install version 5:

First, the binaries are already branded properly (SVR4).  So, mount the cd
and run the installer.  I installed to /compat/linux/usr/Wolfram/..., and
put the binary links in /compat/linux/usr/bin .  However, the little
scripts (in /compat/linux/usr/bin) that start Mathematica don't work for
FreeBSD:  they report 'unknown OS'.  If you fudge that part, so that it
reports 'Linux', it simply doesn't work... perhaps something to do with
the paths coded into the script.  Anyway, I found it much simpler to roll
my own script and stick it in my bin directory:
(note: "+" means continue the line)

#!/bin/sh

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
+ /compat/linux/usr/Wolfram/Mathematica
+ /5.0/SystemFiles/Libraries/Linux"

exec /compat/linux/usr/
 + Wolfram/Mathematica/5.0/
 + SystemFiles/FrontEnd/Binaries/
 + Linux/Mathematica -topDirectory
 +  "/compat/linux/usr/Wolfram/Mathematica/5.0" "$@"

as for the fonts, which must be loaded before the frontend is loaded, they
reside in "/compat/linux/usr/
 + Wolfram/Mathematica/5.0/
 + SystemFiles/Fonts/Type 1"
and ".../Fonts/BDF"

I put these into XF86Config, but if you want to mirror the original
Mathematica loading script, you can put this before the exec statement in
the script:

xset fp+ "[the first directory listed above]"
xset fp+ "[the second directory listed above]"
xset fp rehash

I hope this is useful to others.
-josh