4.9 kernel panics on a poweredge 2650

Andrew Kinney andykinney at advantagecom.net
Fri Jan 23 12:49:05 PST 2004

On 23 Jan 2004 at 13:50, Bogdan TARU wrote:

>  Hi hackers,
>
>  I am experiencing kernel panics on a poweredge 2650 each day around
>  3am (usually the machine comes up at 3:04am). The kernel panics are
>  reproductable by running: /etc/periodic/security/100.chksetuid (in
>  fact by runnning find on /usr with -perms). The problem lies
>  somewhere in /usr/ports. Deleting the /usr/ports tree doesn't solve
>  it, trying a cvs up of /usr/ports results in a crash again.

Our experience is that repetitive crashes when dealing with large
numbers of files (like the ports tree) generally points to hitting
some OS resource limit.  Some things to check that may or may not
apply to this particular problem:

sysctl vm.zone

Make sure you're not hitting any of those limits.

sysctl vm.kvm_size
sysctl vm.kvm_free

If kvm_free is running low just prior to the crash, you might want to
increase your KVA_PAGES (see lint) and rebuild your kernel.

Of course, this is all hit and miss guess work until you have a crash
dump, so getting a crash dump and a traceback from a kernel identical
to your running kernel with debugging symbols would be a logical
first step if you want to avoid any guessing.  If your tracebacks
show failures in random locations, you're probably looking at bad
RAM.  If you always fail in the same spot with each crash, then it is
just a matter of determining why and correcting it.

I believe the freebsd  developer's handbook has instructions on how
to setup a system to do an automatic crash dump for any panic.  It is
relatively straightforward.

Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
President and