Bandwidth limiting for eMule ports

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Jan 21 21:43:05 PST 2004

:Hi,
:
:I'm still having trouble limiting bandwidth for emule ports using dummynet
:features.
:I'm using FreeBSD 5.2-current machine for firewall. It has 2 Intel pro 100
:cards and it is configured as a bridge.
:
:I'm doing bandwidth limiting in the following way:
:
:# eMule
:${fwcmd} pipe 59 config bw 256kbit/s
:${fwcmd} pipe 60 config bw 256kbit/s
:${fwcmd} pipe 61 config bw 128kbit/s

    The ipfw pipe command is *EXTREMELY* sensitive to case and capitalization.
    It only looks at the first few characters.

    Try 256Kbit/s instead of 256kbit/s.  See the difference?

    256kb...	-> not recognized properly
    256Kb...	-> bits per second
    256KB...	-> bytes per second.

    I've always been annoyed by that.  I think I'll go fix it in DFly.

						-Matt