__restrict__ vs __restrict ?

Ruslan Ermilov ru at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 19 11:20:01 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 08:17:19AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 02:41:26PM +0100, Harti Brandt wrote:
[...]
> > What about third party code that reads cdefs.h and is pre-c99? It's
> > perfectly ok to use restrict as a name there.
>
> Its also perfectly OK to use 'exp' as a varible, but we've been getting
> rid of those because they are difficult to deal with.  The same is true
> of older C++ code when new reserved words were added.  Sometimes one has
> to move forward to the modern world.  This is all congecture -- can you
> find one thing in /usr/ports that uses restrict as a symbol?

This is not the point.  The point was if we want to stay C89 compatible
or not.  If we decide at some point that FreeBSD should no longer accept
valid C89 code, this change is probably ok.  If we decide now that our
kernel should be C99 clean, we should compile it with -std=c99, and
replace all `__restrict''s in not headers with C99 `restrict's.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
FreeBSD committer