Bind hack for ipv6 autoconf

Markus Kovero markus.kovero at grafikansi.fi
Fri Jan 16 12:09:50 PST 2004

I was just wondering, inspired by Saku Ytti's idea of making hack to bind
which would allow
proper PTR and AAAA records for rtadvd or similar autoconfigured hosts, as
you can know hosts that are given
are quite random, and far as I know there is no smart logic with them. So,
somekinda hack for bind is needed.
eg. bind could be modified to do PTR and AAAA with different system than
zonefiles has, though zonefiles shouldn't be
ignored but if query regarding autoconfigured subnet comes in it should be
handled on its own system.
For example:
Foo asks reverse for address xyz, bind notices that it has subnet xy defined
as autoconfig hosts and calculates reverse for it like, xyz IN PTR
z-xy.auto.foo.tld.
And then, another day, Bar asks AAAA record for z-xy.auto.foo.tld and bind
notices that its under auto.foo.tld which was defined for autoconfigured
hosts and subnet was xy, answer xyz is given.
And if foo asks AAAA for foo.tld bind operates normally and gives possible
answer from zonefile.
If ISC guys are following these lists I would like to hear their comments.
Anybody interested in developing this kind of modification?

Ideas? Comments? Anybody?

Greets Markus Kovero