kernel environment between reboots, diskless

Steve Watt steve at Watt.COM
Wed Jan 14 13:16:02 PST 2004

On Jan 14, 13:11, Brooks Davis wrote:
} On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:55:49PM -0800, Steve Watt wrote:
} > I'm working on a dataless system that will be booting and rooting
} > from flash for some environmental chamber (thermal) tests, and
} > logging the results to an NFS server outside the chamber.
}
} I've got to ask, if you're in an NFS environment, why boot from flash at
} all?  Why not PXE boot or use etherboot?

I'm attempting to minimize reboot cycle time, since part of the test
suite involves 50 reboots per card, and with 5 cards in the system,
a minute extra boot time is suddenly four hours.

But I'll admit to not having gathered the data on that one, so I'll
give it a closer look.  If I PXE or etherboot, how would the kernel
environment get populated then?

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.8" / 37N 20' 14.9"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                         Whois: SW32