Gratituous ARP and the em driver

Nielsen nielsen at memberwebs.com
Wed Jan 14 12:45:46 PST 2004

Yes, this is the case. I tested it again, and the arp packet in question
doesn't get to the other machines. The sending machine does send
gratituous arp, however the em NIC is down for 3 or 4 seconds, and the
packet isn't sent on the wire.

I find it odd that the em driver would need to reinitialize the NIC each
time an alias is added. I haven't seen any other network drivers do this.

And, yes, it occurs every time an alias is added or removed from the
NIC. Not just the first time.

Cheers,

Nate