Future of RAIDFrame and Vinum

Nat Lanza nlanza at premodern.org
Mon Jan 12 10:46:04 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 11:32, Wes Peters wrote:
> A few years ago Perforce was working on a write-through cache so you could
> have a local duplicate of the server environment, but I haven't seen that
> work come out of the company.  That would've rocked for our development
> model.

They released the proxy a while ago, and it works very nicely. We use it
at work, where we have three remote development sites connected by a VPN
over fairly narrow pipes -- each site runs a local proxy and things are
a lot faster than they used to be.

p4p is pretty easy to set up and doesn't require any admin privileges --
take a look at the release notes:

http://www.perforce.com/perforce/doc.032/user/p4pnotes.txt

Assuming the FreeBSD repository is running a reasonably recent server
version, people working with it ought to see a pretty decent speedup if
they run a local p4p on their development machines.

--nat