Future of RAIDFrame and Vinum (was: Future of RAIDFrame)

John Hay jhay at icomtek.csir.co.za
Mon Jan 12 06:25:44 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 11:00:34AM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <200401120341.42349.linimon at lonesome.com>, Mark Linimon writes:
>
> >But, in the real world of software engineering, He Who Breaketh It,
> >Must Fixeth It.
>
> If we are talking paid jobs, yes, then you can make rules like that
> because with the salary you control resource allocation and
> prioritization.

> In a free software project, you can take any rule like that an put
> it anywhere you like, in any font, size and color of your choice
> and it still wont work.

I don't think it is totally true. If a free software project have
enough power to give and revoke commit bits and to make rules...

They can have a rule like this: No committer may commit an API
change in the kernel without also fixing the places that depend on
it. The only exception is if he can get a majority vote that a
certain section is not being used anymore and may be axed.

Then if a developer comes with an API change, he must like it enough
to do the work needed for it or motivate to the majority why a
certain part have to be axed.... But then it is the group that decide
and not him anymore.

:-)

John
--