Discussion on the future of floppies in 5.x and 6.x

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Sun Jan 11 00:48:54 PST 2004

On Sunday 11 January 2004 12:27 am, Paul Robinson wrote:

> Perhaps I'm missing something, and I can see why abondoning the current
> method in 5-6 years would be reasonable, but I don't see the immediate
> advantage of making the change right now.

So you'll be signing up to do the floppy release engineering, and to
modify the kernel so it can load the boot-device modules dynamically.
That's great news!

> And I have to say, I agree. If abondoning floppies is part of some
> well-thought-out and well-planned package management strategy, I'm all
> for it. Otherwise, let sleeping dogs lie?

The dog isn't sleeping, it's dead.  Like everything else in FreeBSD, it
takes time.  If someone wants to donate that time, it'll continue getting
done, otherwise it'll fall by the wayside.

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes at softweyr.com