UNIX / BSD parallel port programming documentation

Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] Danovitsch at Vitsch.net
Sat Jan 10 00:32:54 PST 2004

On Friday 09 January 2004 17:03, Vladimir Terziev wrote:
> Hi hackers,
>
> 	I have to develop small server which has to manage custom microcontroller
> via parallel port interface.
> 	Does anyone know good manual/documentation about UNIX / BSD parallel port
> programming ?
Most of it should already be on your system, have a look at the man-pages.
If you want to use the ppbus interface to control the port :
man lpt(4), ppbus(4) and ppi(4)

If you want to directly address the ports registers yourself without using the
driver interface :
man io(4) and have a look at /usr/include/machine/cpufunc.h

On FreeBSD you need to have opened /dev/io before your program is allowed to
do direct IO to any device, and on Linux you need to successfully call
ioperm() first.

grtz,
Daan