Discussion on the future of floppies in 5.x and 6.x

Scott Long scottl at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 9 13:25:44 PST 2004

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> writes:
>
>>The (conceptually) simplest approach would be for all drivers to
>>advertise the PCI IDs that they can support (together with a priority)
>>in a manner that would allow such a list to be generated automatically.
>

> yes, we need something like
>
> struct pci_device_info {
>         uint32_t        pciid;
>         char            brand[64];
>         char            model[64];
> } my_supported_devices[] = {
>         { 0x12345678, "Acme", "Nutcracker 2000" }
> };
>
> which is placed in a separate ELF section so we can extract it from
> the module.
>
> except it needs to be flexible enough to support other buses than PCI
> (SBUS, USB...)
>
> DES

Yeah, this is a good suggestion, the only problem being in making it
flexible enough to not be a burden on the drivers.  Many drivers
keep one or more flag elements in their tables to flag hardware than
needs special attention.  I'm sure that there are also countless other
pieces of state that drivers would want to associate with a table like
this.

Scott