Discussion on the future of floppies in 5.x and 6.x

Dag-ErlingSmørgrav des at des.no
Fri Jan 9 07:38:22 PST 2004

"M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> writes:
> des at des.no (Dag-Erling Smørgrav) writes:
> : 2) use pciconf -l (or direct access to /dev/pci) to retrieve the PCI
> :    IDs of unclaimed devices, look them up in a list of supported PCI
> :    devices, and load the appropriate module.
> There's some ongoing work to make this easier to do.  There are some
> issues with doing this, but nothing that can't be overcome.  Every PCI
> driver in the tree will likely need to change in some form to make
> this happen, however.

Not necessarily; one could, as a temporary measure, create and
maintain the list of supported PCI IDs manually.

I had a prototype once (though my purpose at the time was to generate
kernel configs, not load modules).  I dropped it because someone else
was working on the same thing and had it seemed they'd gotten further
than I had.  I still have the sources though...

(rev 1.32 of sys/dev/pci/pcireg.h was a side effect of that work)

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no