Where is FreeBSD going?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jan 9 06:52:22 PST 2004

In message: <35u1357fbm.135 at mail.comcast.net>
            underway at comcast.net (Gary W. Swearingen) writes:
: "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> writes:
:
: > In message: <9td69t98g4.69t at mail.comcast.net>
: >             underway at comcast.net (Gary W. Swearingen) writes:
: > :
: > : And yet the "Legal" page carries a claim of copyright for "The FreeBSD
: > : Project"
: >
: > It is a psudonymous work by The FreeBSD Project.
:
: Are you saying that "The FreeBSD Project" is a pseudonym for many of
: individuals, or what?  And why does it matter with respect to whether
: an extra-legal entity may claim copyright ownership?

Yes.  It is a collection of individuals.  It is explicitly allowed for
in copyright law.

: > : I've not seen a US statute about
: > : false copyright claims, but I think it would be less risky to say "all
: > : intellectual property is owned by its owners", in the manner of some
: > : trademark statements.
: >
: > No, the above is perfectly legal under US and International Copyright
: > law.
:
: Well, I know that it's legal to omit one's own copyright claim, but
: for some organization to lay claim to copyrights owned by you or me
: seems very wrong.

Whatever.  I've consulted lawyers on this who assure me that it is
legal.  You've admitted to not knowing US Copyright law and are aguing
emotion, which is why I didn't reply to the rest of your message.

Warner