Where is FreeBSD going?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jan 8 09:59:31 PST 2004

In message: <1073533525.650.59.camel at localhost>
            Ryan Sommers <ryans at gamersimpact.com> writes:
: I really don't like the idea of making this a "policy," or even some
: official part of the project.

It has been going on for years.  I've been paid to fix FreeBSD bugs by
my employer and as an independent contractor for years now.  These
fixes get into the FreeBSD system on their merrits, but likely
wouldn't have happened if someone wasn't willing to foot the bill.

: Something like this might also jeopardize the
: project's "not for profit" status.

The project is not a legally incorporated entity at this time, and
never has been in the past.  There is a FreeBSD Foundation, but that's
a completely independent organization.  Prior to that there was
FreeBSD, Inc, which Joran ran as a clearing house for help to those
working on the project, but FreeBSD, Inc never was the project.

Warner