Discussion on the future of floppies in 5.x and 6.x

Ceri Davies ceri at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 8 08:36:54 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:35:01AM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> All,
>
> Every FreeBSD release cycle in the past year has hit bumps due to install
> floppy problems.  This is becoming more and more of a burden on the
> Release Engineering Team, as we simply do not have the resources to
> constantly battle the floppies.

Floppies can go as far as I'm concerned, with the one proviso that we
start shipping a /boot.config containing '-P'.  Without floppies, the
only ways to do a headless install are PXE and cutting your own release
with that /boot.config in place, and not all machines can do PXE.

Ceri