Where is FreeBSD going?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Jan 7 23:17:49 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:08:38PM +0100, Roman Neuhauser wrote:

>     The ports freeze seems to last too long with recent releses. Or
>     maybe it's just I've gotten more involved, but out of the last four
>     months (2003/09/07-today), ports tree has been completely open
>     for whopping 28 days.

That might be technically true, but it's misleading and doesn't
support the point you're trying to make.  During this period the ports
collection has only been frozen for a couple of weeks, and the
majority of commit activities were not restricted for the rest of the
period in question.

>     Porter's handbook, and FDP Primer, while valuable (esp. the former)
>     leave many questions unanswered.  (I'm not going to further this
>     rant, but will gladly provide feedback to anyone who asks.)

I would have thought the procedure to rectify this would be obvious:
if you find that something is inadequately documented, or unclearly
documented, then you need to make specific suggestions on what should
be done to improve the documentation.  We *need* this kind of feedback
to figure out how to make the docs better from the point of view of
the target audience.

Kris