Discussion on the future of floppies in 5.x and 6.x

Avleen Vig lists-freebsd at silverwraith.com
Thu Jan 8 05:17:10 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 03:43:55AM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> Well, regardless of how you label it, these floppies still require lots of
> care and feeding in order to work.  We currently have no way to support
> multiple floppies in a convenient way.  This can be fixed in a variety
> of ways that range from fragile hacks to wonderful designs, but it still
> requires someone to put forth the effort.  My offer for a 'floppy
> maintainer' is quite sincere; I hope that someone takes an interest and
> steps up to the challenge.

The other big "problem" with removing floppies, is that not everyone has
a cd burner. I wouldn't even say the majority of FreeBSD users have CD
burners. I think someone mentioned this.

I would love to be the 'floppy maintainer', but I know very little about
the actual process and sadly don't have the time either :(

--
Avleen Vig
Systems Administrator