Discussion on the future of floppies in 5.x and 6.x

Avleen Vig lists-freebsd at silverwraith.com
Wed Jan 7 23:51:01 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:35:01AM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> So, this is something to consider before 5.3.  After that, we are
> stuck with the consequences of whatever we choose (or don't choose) for
> the entire 5.x lifespan.  I do not cherish the thought of fighting
> floppies for another 2-3 years.  I'm happy to work with someone who steps
> forward and is committed to maintaining the floppies as they are today.
> Otherwise, we need to seriously consider the alternative.

Scott,

While it is indeed true that most machines since 1997 will support this
CD format, please take in to account:
  There are lots of machines with no CD drives:
    "Slimline" machines a la dell/compaq/hp/gateway
    Many corporate workstations
    Laptops
    Machines older than 1997 (this is mostly anything early PII chips
      and older, of which there are still a lot). Freebsd does work
      great on old hardware :)
    I'm sure there are others I can't think of at almost midnight.. :)

I understand it is difficult to maintain the floppies. I wish I
understood them better :-) Is it not possible to have "ftp install"
floppies, which do nothing more than simple FTP installations?

--
Avleen Vig
Systems Administrator