Where is FreeBSD going?

Wilko Bulte wkb at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 6 12:57:32 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 08:52:37PM +0000, Colin Percival wrote:
> At 20:31 06/01/2004, Mark Linimon wrote:
> >There are hundreds of PRs still to be processed that do have
> >patches -- in fact, on most days the backlog is getting bigger,
> >not smaller.
>
>   Speaking of which... if there's one thing which could be done
> to improve committer / non-committer relations, it would be to
> *do* something with all those PRs.
>   The ports team is pretty good -- my maintainer updates have
> always been committed fairly quickly -- but I've never had a
> src patch committed without badgering committer(s) about my PRs.

Hm, it is one of the weak spots for sure. Not much different
from paid-for development work, most people I've ever met working
in that area tried to avoid doing maintenance work aka bug fixing.
2nd to avoiding maintenance work is not writing documentation if at all
possible :)

Not an excuse, just an observation.

W/