Where is FreeBSD going?

Dag-ErlingSmørgrav des at des.no
Wed Jan 7 03:42:49 PST 2004

Paul Robinson <paul at iconoplex.co.uk> writes:
> If 5.3, when it arrives, is genuinely production ready, trust me, the
> drinks are on me - I will do my absolute best to get to the next
> BSDcon and get everybody drunk on an expense account. If it isn't,
> well, I'll just have to whisper "I told you so" quietly somewhere.

I am currently working for an ISP whose infrastructure is based 75% on
FreeBSD 5.1.  The remaining 25% are a nameserver running 4.7, a mail
server and a backup server running 5.2, and a BGP router running a
month-old -CURRENT.

I am about to start in a new job at a company that builds a high-
performance network security appliance based on FreeBSD.  The version
they travel around with to show off to potential customers runs on
-STABLE; the development version runs on -CURRENT.  I asked them what
it was like to develop on -CURRENT compared to -STABLE.  Their answer:
"a relief".

Now tell me again why you think FreeBSD 5 is a disaster, and why you
think we're out of touch with our users and admins.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no