Where is FreeBSD going?

Munden, Randall J Randall.Munden at umb.com
Tue Jan 6 09:05:25 PST 2004

Right, I typed that wrong.  This conversation certainly isn't mud
slinging -- open, honest discussion can do nothing but good [no
matter the outcome].

Honestly, I picked up the troll thread because I'm curious as to
why someone would commit so much time in effort to trolling
these lists.  In my experience it's a good idea to explore the
reasoning behind that type of dedication (faulty or not) for no
other reason that discovery.  On-the-other-hand some people
accuse me of being obsessive about information.  /me shrugs

All I can do now is apologize for 'feeding the troll' or rather,
sorry for calling attention to a subject that may be painful,
cliché or overused to others.

> >> FreeBSD also keeps falling farther and farther behind Linux
> >> in the area of advocacy (and, hence, corporate adoption).
> >> Again, this is a governance
> >> issue. Many of the developers actually have an antipathy
> >> toward advocacy,
> >> since they dislike answering newbie FAQs and don't want too
> >> many people to adopt the OS for fear that it'll overcrowd
> >> their "sandbox." So, some of the criticism is actually valid.
> >
> >I noticed it too but I just chalked it up to being crazy
> busy and not
> >paying much attention.
>
> Nope, it's not because you're too busy. It's true. FreeBSD is
> getting fewer mentions in the mainstream press, and fewer
> commercial apps, lately. Linux is mentioned as if it was the
> ONLY alternative to Windows. Work is needed to raise
> FreeBSD's profile.

Which leads me to query, given limited time an resources, what can
I do?  I've moved many a production server to fBSD over the
last 10 or so years -- some of them literally -- by blathering
nonstop about the virtues of the OS.  So what else is there?  Do I
need to start writing documentation or publishing and pimping more
Howtos on the intarweb?  Should I brush up on my C and start patching?

Frankly, I'd never given thought to providing more effort.  The OS
has always done it's own advocacy in my experience.