HEADS UP: pf import

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Fri Feb 27 10:07:07 PST 2004

Hi,

we started importing OpenBSD's packet filter (pf) from it's port
(security/pf). The kernel parts are done, though not linked to any
automatic build. If you want to build it already, you can build from the
corresponding module directories:
        sys/modules/{pf, pflog, pfsync}

Make sure to install new and modified headers.

User of the port should hold off until this is done. The port will no
longer build with the new headers installed! There is no userland in the
tree, yet!

This brings pf from OpenBSD 3.4 with the complete OpenBSD 3.4 function
set. It was tested from the port for a long time now and brings some
features that were not available to FreeBSD before. We have reports from
people successfully running the port (and a preliminarily version of the
changes committed now) on production-use firewalls and servers.

To get an idea of pf's power I suggest reading the OpenBSD FAQ about it:
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/index.html
or if you prefer a summarize, check out the port status report:
http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-oct-2003-dec-2003.html#Porting-OpenBSD's-pf

Best regards,				| max at love2party.net
Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier at EFnet