Questions about CPU related sysctls

Philip Reynolds philip.reynolds at rfc-networks.ie
Thu Feb 26 01:49:32 PST 2004

Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> 27 lines of wisdom included:
> What is the difference between these two sysctls?
>
> kern.smp.cpus: Number of CPUs online
> hw.ncpu: Number of active CPUs

These two are exactly the same thing from the little SMP I have done
with FreeBSD. I would use hw.ncpu, as kern.smp.cpus only appears
when SMP is compiled into the kernel, IIRC.

> Also, can someone give a brief description of these sysctls (sysctl -d
> doesn't show anything for them).
>
> Would it be a good idea to add some text to these syctls?
>
> kern.ccpu:
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_history:
> machdep.hlt_cpus:

This has come up before, feel free to submit something!

--
Philip Reynolds                      | RFC Networks Ltd.
philip.reynolds at rfc-networks.ie      | +353 (0)1 8832063