OT: tftp server

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Tue Feb 24 13:35:52 PST 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 06:16:38PM +0000, David Malone wrote:
> > > It's worth noting that ours works poorly with PXE clients.  The
> > > ftp/tftp-hpa port is the one most commonly recommend for PXE
> > > applications.
> >
> > I've never had any problems PXE booting FreeBSD using out tftpd,
> > but I did have trouble with Linux once - the loader insisted that
> > the transfer size option. Since I MFCed that a while ago, and haven't
> > had any trouble since (though it would be nice if we supported the
> > blocksize option). Any idea what the nature of the problems are?
>
> FreeBSD has always just worked, at least with the default configuration
> that uses NFS for most things.  I think blocksize support may be
> manditory for some clients.  I think there might have been another
> feature requred for some clients, but I can't remember what it was off
> the top of my head.

The one thing I've missed in our TFTP support has actually been so-called
"TFTP Authentication" as used by Linksys wireless routers to upload flash
memory updates, but that's not a server-side issue.  I've never had a
problem with FreeBSD PXE booting from the FreeBSD TFTP server, and it's a
fairly simple protocol so I'd expect any problem is lack of some option,
or a bug in the client.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research